Friday, December 9, 2011

Mom, I miss you

Those words came from Joy last night as soon as she got on the phone to talk to me.

That may not seem like a big deal to some but for a child that a year ago was in the family shopping business it is.

One of the hardest things about adopting an "older" child for me has been the lack of understanding on her part when it comes to what a family really looks like. Let's face it she was abandoned (I know hard word but it just is what it is) by her biological family for reasons I can only speculate. She lived with a foster family for 7 years that loved her, cared for her during surgeries, as far as we can tell in most cases treated her like she was part of the family.

Then one day she was taken to meet us. People who called themselves her forever family. I mean really for a child with the above experiences I mentioned what does forever really mean anyway. And if families can come and go as easily as her biological family and her foster family why would she assume we were her last stop.

So the "I miss you" is big for her and I because she is with my parents being SPOILED. She is the only one there and being treated like the princess. All of our kids are princesses and princes in our eyes and more importantly God's eyes. BUT when you have more than 2.2 kids the reality is that they share their kingdom :) with one another.

The unsolicited "I miss you" has taken time. I feel like I earned it from her. It's been hundreds and hundreds of hours and hours of conversations, reading, helping with math problems, helping her pick out clothes, talking to her about friendships, her past, her future, and most of all just being there for her.

It has been well earned.

And well worth it!

Also, Joshie had a great night. He and I both got some sleep. The nurse we had at night was AWESOME!! Very attentive and sweet about being quiet when she had to come in. When machines started beeping she came in to shut them off! I know it's the little things but it was great!

Faith and Isaac are also doing very well and are having a blast with our good friends.

Please pray he can drink some things today and move to oral pain meds. Thanks so much!

1 comment:

Juley said...

I totally understand how important the "I miss you" is! When we brought Ava home(she was just over 2 yrs old), I realized that she didn't know how to hug. That broke my heart. I would hold her and hug her and her arms would just hang by her side. Today she is a different child. What a difference a year can make. Now she will run up and squeeze my leg and say "I lub you" or she'll grab my hand and give it a kiss. Things that parents of biological 3 year olds don't give another thought but are sooo huge for us.
I am praying for Joshua's recovery and that you and he will be able to rest. That is so hard to do in the hospital. I took a noisemaker with us to plug in at nite when Ava was in the hospital. It was wonderful. The sound of rain drowned out all the noise around us.
You guys are in our prayers!
Juley