Friday, August 31, 2012

Real mom

So yesterday Josh and I are walking from his speech therapy appointment to his ENT appointment. In the parking lot he reaches up and doesn't just grab my hand but slides his arm into mine. I hear him say to himself "my mother" as he continues to skip along with my arm locked into his. Then I say "Yes I am, I love you Josh".
 

So here comes the hard part... he goes from gleeful to just plain old grief stricken in about 2.2 seconds. He then says "Well not my real mom, like we don't look alot and stuff like that". His face still horribly sad. (We don't use the term real mom around here.... we use mom, China mom, birth mom... since both of his mom's are very much real.) Nonetheless in this instance he used it.

It was such a visual for me at his struggle. In order to have me he has to have a loss. For all of his struggles articulating he has such a way of verbalizing his grief. This time it was his face. I'll never forget the switch from happy go lucky to grief that showed on his face.

It's so hard being a parent and not being able to "fix" this grief that our adopted children carry. He is such an amazing kid, we love him so dearly. I can't imagine life without him yet I wish he didn't have to face this kind of grief. Hard stuff.
 

1 comment:

Smilen Champ said...

Hi Josh

My name is Jenna. You are a brave courageous fighter. you are a special miracle from god, a gift from above, earthly angel,and you are a smilen hero. You are full of happiness, life, smiles, joy, fun,love, and spunk.


I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and have 14 other medical conditions, and developmental delays.

I wrote this poem
Each of us are Special
Each of us different,
No one is the same
Each of are us are unique in our own way,
Those of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
Those who of us who have challenges, we smile through our day.
It doesn't matter what others say
we are special anyway.
What is forty feet and sings? the school chior
http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com