Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Got boys?!

While I should be sharing pictures of our wonderful Father's Day I am going to share this little story instead. It was not written by me but shared on a yahoo group I am on. Someone has 2 teenage daughters and is adopting 2 sons. She asked for everyone's input on raising sons to write in a journal to keep for later. Here is a story that was shared that had us rolling on the floor (maybe because some of it has happened at our house and maybe because we could certainly add our own stories to it!)


Being a mother of all boys, can be challenging to say the least, and can sometimes make the days extra exciting and mothers extra weary till the evening hours.


But take heart mothers, speak softly, think tender thoughts, and lift
those weary arms and hands for we have been entrusted with one of the highest callings! We are raising the future leaders of future generations.


Are there any other mothers out there that marvel at the amazing source of knowledge that is stored in the minds of these little human beings that we call boys? I have learned things from my boys that I still can't believe I didn't figure out on my own.


Like...if you get stuck with the chore of bringing in the laundry off
the 40ft wheel line, you really don't have to go in for another basket. Just stand in the laundry basket you have. If you stomp on every piece that goes in, you can get a whole --half weeks worth of laundry in one basket!


And, if you are clearing off the table after a meal? First, make sure you are in stocking feet, pile your arms with dishes (if you have a brother handy, get him to help with the stacking) get a running start at the table, slide across the floor (if it's not too sticky), bump into the sink, and ka-thud, the dishes automatically slide off your arms into the sink. Two trips like this and you are done....unless mom catches you mid-slide on the first trip...then you are done either way.


Oh, and did you know that if you bite off one end of a big marshmallow and throw it up at the ceiling, it will actually stay sticking!? The challenge in this? See whose marshmallow hangs on the longest. Poor mom would have remained ignorant of this amazing fact, if she hadn't questioned the round slightly sticky marks on the ceiling.


As I look out the window I spy the oddest contraption coming out of the garage. Are my eyes deceiving me? Or---no those tow back wheels on that thing once belonged on my garden way cart, and heaven only know what they used for the frame!


I see tools scattered all over the garage floor and the drawers of my husband's expensive, _lock-able _tool chest are all hanging open. The thought "wow, he's going to be upset," runs through my mind, then I think ," nah, deep down he's probably going to feel proud, he'll check out the thing, might even take a ride on it. Then he will persuade them to disassemble it and put all the parts back to their originals again."


At least it isn't motorized; it can't be that extremely dangerous. We'll let them have a bit of fun.


This thought had barely left my mind, when our 4 year old comes in with his pants covered in grease, a black smudge beside his nose, with a small hammer clutched in his hand. In his sweet lisping voice says, "Mom, Wyn wants to know if you know anyfing 'bout mowtors?"


I very calmly reply, "no honey, you tell Ryn that mom knows nothing about engines." In my mind I am all but screaming " NO, NO not engines I know nothing about engines and I don't want to learn about them either!"


My mind has absorbed all the boy knowledge it can handle in one day!


Just when you think your sons think of nothing else but bugs, dirt,
dogs, baseball, explosions, power equipment and eating, they take you for a loop and say something so unusual and profound, that it leaves tears in your eyes and a feeling of love in your heart, so intense that it is almost an actual pain.


Since we have sons that grew in my womb, and some that grew in our hearts, adoption is a subject of great discussion in our home.


The other day our 9 year old (biological son) Lonny came to me and says,


"Do you know that you're actually not my mom?"


At a loss for words, not knowing how to respond, I just replied,


"Oh...I'm not?"


"No" he says, "because you didn't adopt me yet."


With a smile I said, "Well Lonny, you're right, we didn't adopt you."


And teasingly I asked, "so whose child are you?"


Tears pushed at the back of my eyes, when he answered "God's"


I told him "That's right, all children are God's boys and girls, He has a great plan and a future for each of you. God just gives children to parents as sons and daughters to raise and take care of for a short time."


Satisfied he skipped away to play with his brothers.


"One of my greatest hopes is that someday a little child will walk up to me and say, 'thank you grandma for raising such a good daddy for me'."---a quote from a book by Rich Johnson.


A mother from Boyland USA

No comments: